My BBC Master - - - getting Beeped-off.

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Mar 10 17:19:50 EDT 2009

Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> Cracked open Hypercard with ResEdit and extracted the snd resource
> 'Harpsichord'; reset its codes: sfil and movr; and couldn't get any
> sound out of it at all.

Those are very old sound file formats. They need to be converted to
something else to be used these days. There's an old OS 9 utility called
SoundEdit that can do it.

> Frankly; the BEEP terms listed in the RunRev Documentation, if they
> actually worked, would be perfect. I suppose these could be implemented ?

They were implemented originally in MetaCard and always worked only on
some 'nix machines. Mac and Windows don't support variable beep sounds,
and apparently newer Linuxes don't either, judging by your experiments.
The command is probably outdated by now for the most part.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com