Beeps and menus

Jim Ault jimaultwins at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 3 19:40:06 EST 2009

i don't know the exact scenarios with buttons and menus since i don't
need to use them, but...

it seems to me when the programmer starts sending messages that are
the same as those generated by the program he is asking for
complexities that are difficult to understand and control.

I have used the following cleaner way of using objects and the message
path

-------------button script
on mouseup
    -- now call a handler in the stack or card script
    do ("menuChoiceHndlr" && the short name of me)
end mouseup

--------- in the stack script
on menuPick
    --    trap the user interaction and use it, however
    --    this may not be necessary.. see below
    menuChoiceHndlr  "theShortNameOfTheBtn"
end menuPick

on menuChoiceHndlr whichBtn
    switch
    case "shortName1"

    case "shortName2"
    end switch
end menuChoiceHndlr

Bonus is that every button has the same script.
All the logic is handled in the stack script.

Hope this helps, but i know it does not answer your question directly.