Rev cannot open my jpeg ! - and some serious thinking

Ian Wood revlist at azurevision.co.uk
Sat Jun 27 15:02:19 EDT 2009

On 27 Jun 2009, at 17:45, Francis Nugent Dixon wrote:

> Which brings me to the forum question "I've got photos of 13
> megapixels that Rev can't handle". Who wants to push the
> (Revolution) envelope that far ?

People writing tools for photographers? In my case a photographer
writing tools for other photographers. ;-)

> Let's assume that you are a professional. Don't use Revolution to
> solve this problem, it wasn't designed for that - use a professional
> photo program like GraphicConvertor. Of course you can alway put in
> a bug report, but seriously, don't you think that there are more
> important issues to be solved with Revolution ?

Depends. If you want to develop an app that deals with photos in
almost any way (web gallery generation, digital asset management,
animation, slideshows/presentations) then at this point in time you
CANNOT do this in Rev* because the vast majority of consumer cameras
now produce JPEGs that Rev can't handle.

> If I want to knock a nail in, I use a hammer, not my shoe (which was
> designed for protecting my foot). Revolution is fantastic. It does
> so many things. Why ask it to wake you in the morning with a hot
> coffee ?

Because it's a whole field of apps that Rev would otherwise excel in
as a development tool, apart from this one bug affecting Rev on OS X.

Ian

*Short of jumping through hoops by using large numbers of QT Player
objects, or using SIPS or similar command line tools to make
downscaled versions of files etc.