Rev 4 Preview Webinar - Video Link

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Fri Jun 26 20:46:25 EDT 2009

Michael,

> Wow. This took several minutes:
>
>     <http://imp.on-rev.com/webinars/index.html>

Yes, we know how to convert to mp4, that isn't the problem. Your version of
the video is not acceptable:

- It's more than 3x the file size: 151 Mb; the original WMV is 46 Mb
- It's half the dimensions of the original, the text of scripts is
unreadable. We simply cannot demonstrate a programming product without the
code being crisp and clear.
- It does not "stream" -- must be downloaded completely before viewing,
which makes the file size even more of an issue
- It's in mp4, which simply transfers the burden of installing software from
Mac to Windows users

For all its flaws, WMV has a built-in codec suitable for screen captures (in
which most of the pixels from moment-to-moment are unchanged) as opposed to
H.264, which is optimized for video. While you balk at the format for
political reasons, Flip4Mac a free and quick download for end users, and
WMA/WMV is common enough that many people have it already. It's not like
we're forcing anyone to convert their library of videos or author using WMV.
The videos even play back using the QuickTime Player, or within the browser
window itself.

GoToWebinar has its issues, but it's the best value for web conferences
we've found for our needs. Webex, for example, accommodates only 25 users
per meeting without special arrangement. Our Rev 4.0 webinar had almost 350
attendees. And the video is created automatically at the conclusion of the
event, which means we have to spend a whole five minutes of post-production
(to trim the start and end) and we're done. That enables us to upload the
result quicker, and leaves me more time to participate in the use-list. :)

- Bill