Rev Internet Lib reads wrong registry keys for proxy settings

Dave Cragg dave.cragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Thu Jun 25 04:00:21 EDT 2009

Hi Tiemo

Richard Gaskin drew my attention to your mail.

I don't have a definitive answer. Your conclusion seems logically
correct, but I wonder why this issue hasn't come up before. I think
the HKCU keys are set when a user makes changes from the Internet
Settings control panel, so perhaps both keys should be checked.

Just a small correction to your post. The httpProxy setting is made by
the Rev engine at startup, not the internet library (libUrl). As the
library has no way of knowing whether any httpProxy setting was made
by the engine automatically  or by a user's script, it always honors
the setting.

One other problem with the automatic setting by the engine on Windows
is that no account is taken of the "bypass proxy for local addresses"
option on Windows. I've been hit by this before where a proxy was set,
but the application was connecting to a server on the local network.
As a result, I usually set the httpProxy to empty at startup and use
an external configuration file to reset it if necessary. This means
proxies have to be set manually for each installation, but it helps
avoid issues like the one you encountered.

Anyway, I suggest you file a bug report for this. There may not be a
perfect solution, but if there is, I'm sure the Rev engineers will
find it.

Cheers
Dave