characters pasted from word processor

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Wed Jun 24 23:16:59 EDT 2009

Hello Everyone,
I would like to find a recipe to recover the original character of character
strings like this:

ÂΩ

º

‘

‶

(typical text block with imbedded problem text:)

*comparison, Wally’s machine was “stock†, straight out of the catalog.
Part of this was due to the anticipated need for 4-channel Dynatrack, which
would have required 8 tracks on 1†tape. As a result, everything was
designed for ¼†through 1†operation.*

These are mostly curly quotes, punctuation stuff. They are imbedded into
otherwise plain text. Something was different on the newer implementation of
Wordpress and the data's appearance changed in Wordpress

the obvious ones I could search and replace, but I can't guess them all and
I suspect there's a way to convert these.

any ideas are welcome.

thanks in advance

Stephen Barncard
San Francisco