Salivating . . .

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 16:20:38 EDT 2009

stephen barncard wrote:
> This is indeed a momentous occasion, as I have never seen such
> unrestrained exuberance from Richmond before!
>
> -------------------------
> Stephen Barncard
> San Francisco
> http://barncard.com
>

> 2009/6/23 Richmond Mathewson <richmondmathewson at gmail.com>
>

>> . . . Hurrah, Hurrah, Hurrah

Well, if one wants to be b*tchy, one could point out that have I dished out
6 month's income to come to the Edinburgh conference; and I do feel a
certain sense of relief it won't be just for a jolly social call!

Also, I am, first of all, an educator; and with the advent of a FREE
version of
revMedia I really believe that this will empower many many people in
a similar way to the wa y that Hypercard did; but in an even better way:

I have a number of 9,10,11 year old kids who have done silly, little,
kiddy jobs to buy their own Pentium 3 PCs (with a monitor, running at around
$50 right now) and are as keen as mustard to get started. They have
no money right now; but, in due course they will have, and if they grow
up with Runtime Revolution it should be fairly clear where they will
fling their money in the future.

The fact that I have persuaded those kids that it is much better to spend
the boling hot summer here in Bulgaria hunched over a PC learning
programming rather than playing shoot-em-up games will be supported
in a big way I could only fantasize about until 2 hours ago.

5 years ago, as part of my MSc, I trialled a mockup agent-led GUI coded in
RR with Primary teachers at Greyfriar's Primary School in St Andrews.
The teachers, extremely hard-working, devoted teachers, were blown away
with how rapidly one could run up half-decent stuff for content delivery
and reinforcement. None of them had anything that one could call
disposable income; free revMedia at home, and licensed RR at school
would have made all the difference. One teacher pointed to the school's
20-odd PCs running 98/XP and said that she was sick to death of getting
kids to use the Paint program (what a socking waste of resources!).

Here in Plovdiv they teach High School kids PASCAL, which is, unless
you are some sort of retro-geek, a major turn-off. I shall, very shortly,
become a "pusher" for RR, and be trotting round the school giving
demos of just what can be done.

Now, do you understand my   Hurrahs ????