More Crossplatform Text Agony

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Jun 23 15:29:15 EDT 2009

Scott Rossi wrote:
> OK, in Rev 3.5, I create a brand new stack, let's say on OS X.  I add a
> control, let's say a tab control, and set its text size and style.  Now when
> I move the stack to Vista or XP, the text of the tab control takes on some
> default setting that I can't change.  Looking in the Text menu or using the
> message box, the textsize/style is reported as being the same as my original
> styling, but the appearance of the tab control is incorrect and won't
> update. Using the Text menu or by script I am unable to modify the text
> appearance.
>
> Looking through custom properties of the stack/card with "Revolution UI
> elements..." enabled in Preferences doesn't appear to show any custom
> properties set for text.
>
> WTF?  Even on newly created stacks with minimal text formatting, the
> settings don't carry over across platforms, and won't update.

I haven't looked at the stack in Windows but peeked at it in OS X. I
think the problem has to do with how textfonts work. Whenever you set a
textstyle and size, the textfont is also stored; Rev can't save only
size and style info without also saving the font. The font that is being
stored for your tab control is Lucida Grande, which doesn't exist on
Windows, so something else is being substituted there.

To reset it on Windows, set the textfont of the control to a
Windows-native font. Since setting the font will wipe the size and style
info, you'll need to reset both of those too. See if that helps.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com