EduTainment Titles

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sat Jun 20 21:28:40 EDT 2009

Lynn and Richmond:

Thank you so much for all the insights into the "industry standards"

All very useful. I have added this to my respository of production
standards resources. You have offered some really useful points.

A few simple replies before I go off the deep end of musing.

1) I totally agree that content is king, not software wizardry. Thanks
for the reminder.

2) It's not that I'm "focusing too much on the techology here." as Lynn
saw it... rather I'm interested in the *delivery channel/ mechanisms*

3) My original request was: can I buy some/see some titles? Richard? Let
me see your stuff! (smile)

One could conclude from you comments (simplistically)

"Make and deliver standalones; forget about the internet except as a
shopping mechanism"

i.e. If you can get the client(s) to download (purchase, get on CD...
whatever) a standalone that has excellent (even if technically simple)
content, clearly branded which runs easily on any machine, without an
internet connection, then probably you will be reaching a larger
audience in the long run because the connectivity issues are bigger than
anyone wants to admit.

<deep end dive>

But this simply leads to more questions

Au contraire... , I already have a number of titles, for free, on the
internet. If you look at access logs, I see a lot of traffic to these
pages, but not a lot of downloads.

http://himalayanacademy.com/resources/children/dws_youth/
http://himalayanacademy.com/resources/children/yamas_niyamas/

(I think if you try these you will have to agree I'm not into super
technology... the one complaint being they lack sound...)

Meanwhile:

PDF's here:

http://himalayanacademy.com/resources/children/SaivaHR_course/

on the other hand are downloaded at the rate of 2000-3000 a month
consistently year after year.

Our Vedic Calendars "http://himalayanacademy.com/resources/panchangam/"
get (and this is no exaggeration) 200,000 plus downloads a year. (my
goodness we should start charging something, if only $1.50 each)

What does this tell us? I don't know for sure. Perhaps our "packaging"
is just lousy, or the resistance to downloading executables is higher
than  one might expect, which then militates against your thesis that
people will only use a product that can runs off the internet, but they
don't want to "get" it off the internet, but I don't want to go into
physical CD production (sales packaging, shipping order handling
etc...), catch 22.

 Our Hinduism Today Digital Edition (Rev desktop thin client, PDF
manager) on the other hand has been downloaded 15,000 copies. Why?
higher profile, strong need?

Sidebar: I deal with an asian/indian/malaysian/mauritian/singaporean
audience, which is frankly (sorry to say it but it's true) easily 10-5
years ahead of the US "admin" establishment in terms of moving forward
in the digital revolution, at least at home...if not always in schools,
but even in some schools, where you may have a high resistance to
internet connections in  a US context, there will be little to none in a
similar Asian context where the admin is so technically advanced they
have no problem dealing with filtering content etc. So whether the
paradigm of a paranoid "protect our kids from porn" edu, universe should
inform our decision moving forward is yet another question mark.  Well
obviously we want to protect our kids, but there are lots of ways to
protect without shutting down the pipeline completely.

But, if Flash is any model to measure by, even a modicum of success in
getting people to download a plug-in to run stacks in a browser is
likely to blow away the "numbers" of those who may never download an
executable, which, by our experience so far, is still quite low/high
resistance. Since band width is still an issue, obviously a "small
modules" model will be needed.

 So, there I came full circle: I would like to see some e.g titles of
good edutainment ware.