EduTainment Titles

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Fri Jun 19 23:47:26 EDT 2009

Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Sivakatirswami wrote:
>
>> With the advent of Rev Stacks running inside a browser, there is
>> interest here in our shop with the idea of doing educational stackware.
>>
>> The perception that such titles by CD would probably never do well
>> compared to
>>
>> a) distributing printed materials
>> b) PDF's of the same
>> c) Some Browser app
>
> This raises a question that I haven't seen a simple answer to:
>
> Are there methods for each platform by which an application could
> assign itself as the "helper app" for a given file type extension when
> linked to within a web page?
>
> This would let any of us make player apps for stuff, and just clicking
> it would download and run it like iTunes links.
>
> Doable?
>
> I realize that's not nearly as convenient as the browser plugin, but
> that plugin is still several months away and when it's available it
> won't have an offline mode that one could build into a player (file
> I/O and other "normal" options available to apps but verboten for
> plugins).
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin

Agree, an unhobbled option would be very useful.

I've also proposed in the past that this helper application/Player, just
like iTunes only comes from Apple, (Real Player from Real, Flash from
Adobe etc.) be available from an "official" RunRev site.

I can see security issues being of some concern, obviously, but if Apple
and Adobe can do it, why not RunRev in Edinburgh? With the widespread
sterotypical perception of the strodgy conservatism of UK, trust factor
for a product from Edinborough will be very high (smile) vs. every "Tom,
Dick US Cowboy and Cowgirl " Revolution programmer offering their own
helper app.

Just kidding.. but you get the point.