Add example to dictionary (was Re: Help on export snapshot)

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Fri Jun 12 10:10:56 EDT 2009

On Jun 11, 2009, at 7:58 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Mark Schonewille wrote:
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> This will work:
>>
>> on mouseUp
>>     put "~/desktop/test.png" into myFile
>>     if there is a file myFile then delete file myFile
>>     set the filetype to "????PNGf"
>>     export snapshot from rect (the rect of this stack) to file myFile
>> as PNG
>> end mouseUp
>
> Or to be cross-platform:
>
> put specialFolderpath("desktop") & "/test.png" into myFile

There are lots of great, short scripting examples, like this one, that
show up here on the list. My I suggest that whenever you submit one
you also consider submitting it as a User Note to the appropriate
dictionary entry in Rev 3.5. It is real-world examples like this that
are lacking in many dictionary entries, and they would make the
dictionary a much more valuable tool.

In this particular example, I remember the first time I used export
snapshot. It took me quite a bit of fiddling and searching the list
archives until I finally got it. This script would have clarified it
for me in a fraction of the time.

Regards,

Devin

P.S. Mark and Jacque, with your permission, I'll be happy to submit
your combined example.

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University