Remote database access: How?

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Tue Jun 9 10:36:54 EDT 2009

On 9 Jun 2009, at 16:16, Jan Schenkel wrote:
> There's a difference between the MySQL Database engine and the
> Connector library that allows C-programs to talk to the database.
> The RevDB driver for MySQL is is a wrapper around said Connector.

Yes, but on-rev obviously does connect to said 5.0.1 database. I did
not confuse the difference, but falsely assumed that this fact is
clear to you: on-rev scripting is able to connect to mysql 5.0.1.

> You should also not confuse GPL and LGPL.

Note that I do know about lgpl and the differences.

> GPL is more strict, and anything it 'touches' must also become GPL.
> Whether this is enforcable in court, or not, is something else - but
> open source licensing is enough of a minefield not to take any
> chances.

The "touching" is exactly the problem here. Namely what constitutes
touching, and what not? In my view, making an external wrapper around
the gpl mysql libraries would mean _for sure_ that said wrapper would
need to be gpl.

However a rev standalone that _calls_ said wrapper (even when sharing
data structure) is not obliged to. Thus the link to the wikipedia
entries subsection, which does mention exactly such a connection is
disputed, and not yet enforced either way.

I also object to the connection "opensource" = "minefield". the worst
that could happen would be that runrev would need to _cease_
distributing the disputed code, basically not supporting, updating and
shipping the mysql external anymore. Furthermore, although that'd be
certainly unpleasant, I can't imagine it happening. Why would any open
source or mysql advocate actually want rev to cease the support of
mysql?

Still having non lawyer fun
Björnke