Remote database access: How?

Tereza Snyder tereza at califex.com
Mon Jun 8 00:17:49 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I told my client Rev could do it...and now I'm stuck! Here's what my
app needs to do:

1) user downloads Rev app from web page
2) user runs app
3) user types username and password
4) app looks up username/password in remote MySQL database

...if found:

5) user does stuff with app that generates data
6) app uploads data to remote MySQL database
7) app thanks user and quits.

I have 5) completed—a nice app that does complex stuff to collect data—
and now its time to implement the DB end of things, beginning with
making a connection to a remote database. I have a DB set up on a
remote server that I can configure. I can access the tables there, etc
with Navicat.

Now what?

To get my feet wet, I downloaded Trevor DeVore's libDataBase, and
installed his "recipes" demo db on my local (macos x) MySQL and it
runs fine. I installed the data in the remote MySQL, changed the
"host" stuff in the demo to point to it, but the "recipes" stack can't
connect.

A great chasm of ignorance is open at my feet. I suspect there's
security issues and many many more icky demons lurking in the depths.
I HAVE ONE DAY TO BRIDGE THAT CHASM.

Do I need to install a rev cgi on the remote server to communicate
with the DB? Aaaeeee! What should it do?

I know for a fact that Rev apps can do this. I've seen them. But the
details elude me.

Help!

Tereza Snyder
Califex Software, Inc.