What do Rev programmers charge per hour for programming?

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 03:26:41 EDT 2009

I never charge for anything (except EFL teaching) per hour; to my mind
that stinks; lazy types like myself, safe in the knowledge they were
being paid by the
hour would take things in a leisurely fashion and the end result would be
continually delayed.

Of course teaching kiddos English is different as as soon as one falls
asleep in
one's chair they blow the whistle on you to Mum and Dad.  :)

I charge by result, normally offering a deadline, and to reduce the charge
should I over-run the deadline. I normally accompany my offer with a
GANTT chart on which I have allowed for at least twice the time I think
I will need.

The advantage of charging by result is that nobody can accuse you of
slacking on the job when they see you wrapping your face round an
ice-cream at 10 o'clock in the morning.

Obviously the amount I charge for a project depends on the time I
estimate it will take and the level of its complexity.

Although this is slightly OT, I can tell you that my standard charge for
installing any Debian-derivative Linux  distro on any PC ( a clean install
rather than one onto a partition of a computer already running another
OS) is between 100 - 150 leva (approx. 50 - 75 Euros); this also involves
my popping back every week for 3 weeks just for a "look-see" to make
sure that everything is running smoothly.  To contextualise this one
needs to know the following about Bulgaria:

Tomatoes  2.00 leva / kg
Bread          1.00 lev a loaf
Cheese        8-11 leva / kg

Electricity bills for my moderately sized flat    200 leva / month

And that I, normally, am able to do something else, simultaneously,
while installing a Linux distro.  :)