[OT] Customs

Mark Smith lists at futilism.com
Fri Jun 5 19:23:21 EDT 2009

Richmond, as you probably know, british customs & excise have all
sorts of powers that might not generally be considered consistent
with a modern, democratic civil society.

However, I travel a lot, and nearly always have my laptop with me,
and neither I nor anyone I know has had their laptop seized by HMRC.
So unless you know of some reason that they might take an unusual
interest in you, you probably have nothing to worry about. Then
again, they probably have the power to truss you up like a chicken
and write rude words on your face with an indelible marker - being
paranoid does not mean they're not out to get you :)

Best,

Mark