experience with VBScript on Vista needed

Jim Bufalini jim at visitrieve.com
Tue Jun 2 14:03:00 EDT 2009

Hi Tiemo,

> I have an updater in my app, which makes under Vista the file update
> with
> VBScript because of the UAC. My updater works in most cases fine. But I
> have
> a certain number of Vista customers, where It doesn't work at all and I
> am
> not yet behind, what is going on there. The updater just runs through
> without any error message. The nasty thing is I don't get any error
> back
> from VBScript to my app, so that my app states that the update was made
> successfully, though it wasn't.

You don't have to use VBScript. When you first install your app, have your
installer set the permissions on your app's root directory under program
files to all users. After this, you can update it from Rev.

> My questions are not going to my code, but to some principles with
> calling
> the shell wscript.exe
>
> 1.  I tried to catch any error from the get shell() command with "the
> result", "the syserror", "try -catch", but got never any error back
> from the
> shell, even if I have a wrong syntax in the VB, where the VB fails, the
> rev
> doesn't gets noticed. Which is the correct way to catch an error from a
> VBScript on the shell?

Put shell(...) into tResult. Then parse the tResult for error messages.

Aloha from Hawaii,

Jim Bufalini