Any thoughts on speed limitations of Revlet?

James Hurley jhurley0305 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 30 17:15:29 EDT 2009

> Message: 15
> Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 05:38:13 -0700 (PDT)
> From: capellan <capellan2000 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: Any thoughts on speed limitations of Revlet?
> To: use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
>

> Hi Jim,
>
> This revlet works great inside the web browser.

What surprises me is that it runs so much faster in the browser than
in the IDE or standalone.
Kevin says they are working on these display issues. I'm anxious to
see how this plays out.

> Now, i find suspicious that with the first shot
> i was able to sink 8 balls... twice in a row. :-D

This is probably a function of the speed in the browser. The faster
the ball comes of the cue stick the more action you will get. I also
put up a version that allows one to slow things down a bit. It's in a
Preference panel.

In principle, if you shoot hard enough, you can sink all the balls in
a single shot.
Of course the cloud with this silver lining is that you will also
scratch.

Just for the hell of it, some time ago, I included a feature which
allows you to see how the shot will play out, i.e. it predicts the
path of the struck ball.
Try this in your message box:

go url "http://jamesphurley.on-rev.com/NineBallForTheRiskAverse.rev"

It is a little buggy, i.e. it can't always figure out which ball you
are aiming at.

At one time I considered programing Nine Ball to play by itself. That
way I can start the game and go out for coffee.
It would think a bit, examine the possibilities and the geometrical
constraints and then say "Three ball in the corner pocket" and it
would come to pass.
Lots of geometry to work out there.
Not much fun to play, but a great time saver. (As usual, the fun is in
the programming.)

> Keep up your great work!
> and thanks to Scott Rossi for
> lending his gifted hands to
> this revlet.

Scott has taught me how important the "Tactile Medium" is.

Jim Hurley