New (?) display problems in RevWeb

SparkOut SparkOutYNY at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 09:08:13 EDT 2009

James Hurley wrote:

> I'm back again, refreshing my postings on the screen refresh rate
> problems in revlets. And perhaps a clue to their origin.
>
> Some of you are aware of the existing display problem when running Rev
> in the IDE in OS X.
> If an object is moved across the screen with "set the loc...."
> command, it is necessary to force a screen refresh after each repeat
> loop.
> That screen refresh can be executed with an "unlock screen" or a "wait
> 1 millisec."
>
> If you run the stack "DisplayProblemsOSX.rev" (see below)  in the Rev
> IDE you can see the problem on the Mac side and how to fix it.
>
> Run this in the message box to run the stack in the IDE:
> go url "http://jamesphurley.on-rev.com/DisplayProblemsOSX.rev"

> But I find that the forced screen refresh does not work when running
> the revlet  in the browser.
> To see this, open the following  Web site to run the stack in your Web
> browser:
>
> http://jamesphurley.on-rev.com/DisplayProblem/test.html
>
> There are two cards. On the first a ball bumps along across the
> screen. It should run smoothly.
> On the second card a sentence is displayed slowly one character at a
> time across a field.  Instead it jump along, several characters at a
> time.
>
> These problems may be cause by the same interference problem between
> Rev screen refresh rate and the browsers refresh rate.
> Just a guess. I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes.
>
> I would appreciate it if someone would run the stack in Windows. Is
> this just a Mac problem? Thanks.
>
> Jim Hurley

(On Windows XP here)
Behaviour is the same in FF3.0.12, Google Chrome 2.0.172.37 and IE8. Opera
refuses to load the revWeb plugin (I think that is something to do with the
javascript detection routine, as I can get the samples to work in Opera on
the runrev page - although not the main demo).

On the moving ball card, clicking either of the buttons flashes the ball at
high speed across the card. Clicking the ball itself, the movement begins on
the left and proceeds smoothly and slowly across. IF the mouse is moved
(while over the revlet) during the ball movement, then the speed increases -
not to the "almost instant" level of clicking the button, but about 4 times
the speed. If the mouse pointer is moved off the revlet to another area of
the web page, then the speed reverts to the slow steady version. In the
results field I got:
Your results

Movestopped, 1109 ticks (click the ball and leave it to traverse steadily)
Movestopped, 330 ticks (click the ball and continually move the mouse
pointer at random over the revlet area)
Set the loc without OS X fix, 10 ticks (click the left button)
Set the loc with OS X fix, 9 ticks (click the right button)

On the next card, the field was populated very quickly. Because I knew what
you were expecting, and from the script, I was able to make out that the
field was populated char by char, but all happened too quickly to be really
noticeable, ie there was virtually no delay. It was only barely detectable
that there was a difference to putting just: put tText into field "display"

Hope that's useful.