Documentation . . . again

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 15:33:49 EDT 2009

Mark Schonewille wrote:

"When documentation changes with a new release of Revolution, I'd
consider the old documentation to have become obsolete. "

and this is, generally true, especially where features have changed or
new ones introduced that displace old ones.

So:

1.  Why is the documentation both patchy (in the sense that it is quite
up-to-date in some areas, while hopelessly
      "out-of-it" in others)?

2.  The imagery and so forth in the Resource Center of revMedia 4 uses
the OLD script editor?

Having been "at" Runtime Revolution for some 8 years now (God help me),
I don't really care
as I have "made a separate peace" so to speak, found a modus operandi
which conforms to
my personal motto:

"I'll muddle through"

which is charming in its own way, and OK for eccentric characters who
mess about making
their, thin. living, in funny, marginal places like Bulgaria.

BUT, probably completely useless for folk who are fighting to make their
living in the
fast-paced, cut-throat West (and, Hey, let's face it, I left that region
because, frankly, I either
couldn't cope with it, or couldn't be bothered to put up with it; I'll
leave you to work out which
of those, if not both is the truth).

The PDF documentation is much more up-to-date, and less patchy, but is
not so IMMEDIATE
as the in-built documentation.

ALSO:

I don't care (as the proud owner of the latest incarnation of RunRev)
whether feature X was
introduced in version 2.7, and I don't care if its way of working was
changed in version 2.8.

What I do care about is that the documented examples work straight away.

To be bitchy (no, Richmond, surely not?), I uncovered, completely
innocently, a documentation
error the other day of the simplest possible sort; but enough to
cheese-off people sufficiently to
wonder what they are getting into:

"Thought I would try out some of the
tutorials before the kids got there first :)

so tried the Internet Images one:

on mouseUp
  set the filename of image 1 to http://www.runrev.com/images/logo.jpg
end mouseUp

a no-brainer (???)

and got this:

button "Button": compilation error at line 2 (Expression: bad factor)
near "://", char 35

and the line of code was copied exactly from the tutorial . . . Hmm. "

because the line of code should be:

  set the filename of image 1 to "http://www.runrev.com/images/logo.jpg"

BAD VIBES BABY!