enSharpen codec

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 02:55:07 EDT 2009

Mark Wieder wrote:
> Richmond-
>
> Thursday, July 23, 2009, 10:47:36 PM, you wrote:
>

>> 1.  I installed the enSharpen video codec on my G4 PPC
>> and the videos that are downloaded through the
>> Resource Center are still GREEN.
>>

> Cool. That's very in these days...
>
> Having not looked into the Resource Center in quite a while, I went
> over to Sample Projects and looked at the Contact Manager. Clicking on
> the link that says "Click here to go to the corresponding video and
> PDF" launched Firefox and went to http://video.movies.go.com, which
> played a preview for "Gone Baby Gone". Maybe there's a backroom tie-in
> between runrev and Buena Vista Home Entertainment... I rather hope
> not.
>
> Clicking on the "Launch video" link gave me audio but no video. And
> the title bar of the Resource Center changed to something like
> "???????????????@?@????????@@@??" (where @ is an unprintable block).

Foolish bit follows:
The only 'problem' is that I am not 'GREEN' in the political sense of
the word; more the type who, instead of building a computer out
of old toilet rolls and cow poo, does his 'thing' for the environment
by trying NEVER to throw anything away, but continue using it.

I, also, wanted to see "the pretty pictures" in the instructional videos;
as did my Teddy-Bear (who at 46 years old must be entitled to call
himself 'recycled' or 'Green' - possibly owing to the fact that about
35 years ago he was left out in the rain and developed mould in his
straw . . . but I digress. . . :)

Sensible bit starts here:

Seriously; I do feel that so much effort has been put into RR 4.0
itself that all sorts of glitches in the accompanying 'goodies' have
been overlooked.

If one considers that revMedia 4a IS an Alpha release one
shouldn't get too fussed by this; if, however, the goodies are
not Alphas, but stuff left there from 3.5 or 3.0 then it is all a
bit embarrassing.

In mitigation, I would not want to be the chap who has to build
GANTT charts for RR and track everything, run round the place with
a big stick, and so on.