Monitor Resolution ???

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 19:41:39 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 6:09 AM, Richmond
Mathewson<richmondmathewson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just thought it would be fun if one could do
> something like this:
>
> set the screenRect to 0,0,1024,768
>
> err, resizing monitor resolution to fit the
> stack rather than resize the stack to fit the
> monitor resolution.
>
> of course, for this to be possible one would
> have to have a way to ascertain the possible
> monitor resolutions on a given system, such as:
>
> put the screenRes() into fld "xxx"

You can GET the screenRect (or screenRects for multiple monitors) but
Rev does not have a command to set the screen resolution yourself.

This suggestion usually causes howls of outrage that any app would
dare to do such a thing but in fact games do it all the time.
I made a kiosk app a few years ago and as the admin users had access
to the System Prefs and could therefore change the screen res away
from what was required to stop standard users getting anywhere they
shouldn't, I used a command line utility called "cscreen" to reset the
screen res after any admin user had logged out, if the screenRect
showed it to be necessary.

However this utility is for Mac OS X only and I don't think it is
under active development anymore, which had the big disadvantage of it
not being able to handle the wide screen formats in the more modern
Macs. I haven't needed it for a couple of yeas, so it may have been
updated or there may now be an alternative.

> Lynn Fredricks, Lynn Fredricks, lend me your grey mare'
> All along down along out along lee
> For I wants for to go to the RunRev Conf.
> With Klaus Major, Sarah Reichelt, Heather Nagey,
> Andre Garzia, Sivakatirswami, Richmond Mathewson,
> Old Uncle Tom Cobley and all.    :)

LOL - love the poem. However I will be there virtually only :-(

Cheers,
Sarah