Unicode - AAT vs OT fonts in Revolution

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 16:34:40 EDT 2009

Did you think I had forgotten?

Several nights in 40 degrees C, tossing and turning, later . . .

Bloody silly really (but then, in my case it usually is; either trying
to be too clever for my own good,
or not seeing something right under my nose):

Take a look at this:

http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/private_use_area.html

a private use area in the Basic Multilingual Plane, i.e. at unicode
numbers less than 65535.

So, cracked open my Devanagari font (provisionally called 'Mahesvara')
and shifted all the
conjunct consonants from "beyond the pale" to this area:

running between 57344 (hex E000) and 63742  (hex  F8FE).

Standard (i.e. basic) letter forms are lodged "where they should be"
between:

2309 (hex 0905) and 2416 (hex 0970)

Now; a further 'sweaty night' awaits me (it, Sivakatirswami, may well be
the Brahma-Mahurta
in Hawaii, but over here it is some horrible time of the night at a
horrible time of the year) as
I try to "cook up" a Sanskrit typewriter type implementation method in
Revolution.

Don't hold your breath as it may take longer than the RR 4.0 Beta  :)

Anybody who feels the urge to have their own, private "night of passion"
/ "dark night
of the soul" wrestling with homemade unicode fonts is more than welcome
to help
themselves to my font at:

http://box17.110mb.com/FILEZ/MH.zip

if anybody can come up with a way of using it before I can that would be
really super.   :)