Unicode capability expansion

Kee Nethery kee at kagi.com
Fri Jul 17 15:31:47 EDT 2009

I like what Python decided to do with Unicode. There is no more ascii
text in Python 3.x, all text is unicode. Seems like the best solution
to me. No deciding whether this or that function supports unicode,
they all do. The only difference is that you need a new term to stand
in for a byte in a data stream, for example

select byte 2 to 7 of thestuff
vs
select char 2 to 7 of thestuff

byte 2 to 7 would give you 6 bytes of data.
char 2 to 7 would give you 6 or more bytes because you don't know (or
care) how the characters are represented, could be UTF-8, UTF-16, etc.

If you deal with characters and words and lines, you are always
dealing with complete unicode characters.

Just my 2 cents.
Kee Nethery