Another (slightly silly) way to show animations on Linux

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 10:12:55 EDT 2009

Pierre Sahores wrote:
> Hello Richmond,
>
> Does the playback work as fluently as in using as a QT or WMV
> videoplayer ? i will test your proposal as soon as possible...
>
> Kind Regards,
> --
> Pierre Sahores
As far as I can see.  Also, on Linux you would not get very far with
either QT or WMV player.

This method requires NO  MPlayer or media codexes to be installed on an
end user's Linux box; nor, for that matter, QT or WMV or codexes on either
Mac or Win.

And I have always seen the above as the besetting problem for people
wanting to deliver multimedia to end-users.

If you can "boil down" your source images using some sort of batch
conversion
to a relatively small size it might just pay off.

I also messed around with:

a graphic object and the following script;

on mouseUp
  put 1003 into FRAMEK
  repeat for 356 times
    add 1 to FRAMEK
    set the backgroundPattern of grc "SHOWTIME" to FRAMEK
    wait 2 ticks
  end repeat
end mouseUp

now, even when the dimensions of the grc were
the same as the images there were complications -

On Mac the whole thing was a mess with sections of the images
in a "tiled" effect, which if you cannot afford drugs to make your
brain go funny would do the trick.

This worked as well as setting the icon of a button on Ubuntu.