Rev cannot open my jpeg ! - and some serious thinking

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 19:53:59 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 9:39 AM, Mike Markkula<acm at armas.com> wrote:
> Sarah, and anyone else wanting to use image files wider than 4091 pixels,
>
> Here's a partial work around for working with files larger than 4091 pixels
> wide. It's based in part on Devin Asay's idea of splitting the imageData
> into pieces small enough for rev to handle & then displaying them side by
> side. As it turns out, that won't work because rev corrupts all the pixels
> in each row from 4047 to the end of the row, so even though you can read
> image files of any width, only the first 4047 pixels of each row are usable.
> With the help of my trusty sidekick Jerry Jensen, I wrote an example stack
> that loads images wider than 4091 and creates a useful image object from the
> first 4047 pixels of each row. For some applications it may be better than
> no image at all... Here's a link to download the example stack:
> http://acm.on-rev.com/WideImagePartialWorkAround.rev.zip

Thanks for this Mark & Jerry. I very clever solution and in some
cases, it will definitely be the better option.
In my current project, I don't think I can expect users to wait that
long while the image is resized, so I just say I can't show it and
offer them other ways to view.

I have realised that I can use a player object to display large
images. What are the disadvantages to switching to using players
instead of images?

Cheers,
Sarah