Unicode - AAT vs OT fonts in Revolution

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 04:21:00 EDT 2009

Hmm, I had a similar problem about 4 years ago when I had to dish out
a lot of Cyrillic text. HOWEVER, as the text was STATIC (i.e. none of the
end users were expected to interact with it) after an awful lot of
headache-causing experiments I just typed out the texts and then
embedded them into the stacks as IMAGES.

By-the-by, isn't the first writing system 'Devanagari' rather than
'Devenagiri'?
something to do with snakes, methinks.  :)

Also, having dug out my McDonell Sanskrit dictionary and attempting to check
the meaning of a few words from the Rg-Veda (in my Vedic Reader) I fell foul
of the fact that Vedic (as opposed to classical Sanskrit) uses a larger
Devanagari alphabet than Sanskrit (about 4 more letters) - those extra
letters
are not, as far as I know - included in Unicode (which, I think, bases its
Devanagari on Hindi).

So, hmm, faut de meux, if you are going to quote shruti or smriti I would
be inclined to stick to pictorial representations of text.

Now, there are some reasonably respectable TTF unicode fonts "out there"
that contain Nagari letters, so I don't think it is necessary to "get
all worked up"
about other 'funny' types of fonts.

Umm, sorry, got to rush off and see my accountant (monthly ritual) and
then teach Modal Verbs (Aargh), however, this evening will try and give
this a spot more thought and get back to you.

Shanti.