[weblet] How can a webLet communicate with the hosting html page?

splash21 rev at splash21.com
Mon Jul 6 19:20:05 EDT 2009

Where there's a will, there's a way....
This example is pretty basic and I've only tested it on Firefox/Vista.

http://splash21.on-rev.com/revlet/

You can send text from the web page to the revlet.  Communication can
flow the other way as well.

I saved the test revlet stack with a variable containing a string of 'X'
characters in the openStack script.
The .rev file is not embedded on the HTML page - instead there's a .irev
file embedded.  The .irev file opens the real revlet file as binary,
replaces the string of X's with the user's session key and spits the
resulting binary file out to the browser.  This gets downloaded as the
revlet which now contains the session key and can now communicate with
the web page.

It may seem like a total hack of a workaround, but it's simple - and it
seems to work.  Hope some of you guys find it useful!

JC