Creepy 2020

Randall Reetz randall at randallreetz.com
Wed Jul 1 19:49:44 EDT 2009

I still think it ironic that we are intolerant of governments and corporations when they engage in behaviors we excuse in our selves.  How many people go to church or get their kids in a soccer league or enroll them in a private school specifically to gain access to the "right" group of potential customers?  FaceBook et al are just providing to that same demand.  Yes it is creepy... how humans act towards their "friends".   Everyone wants the "networking" advantages afforded by a company that mines personal data.  Nobody likes to know how that data is aquired when it comes to their own identity.  Really creepy is the vailed astonishment expressed as the nessisary "wizard of oz" is revealed to be just what our greed demands of him.  The perfect reflection of us!  I live in Palo Alto, and have listened in on hundreds of facebook employee cafe conversations.  Souls not required.  It is one thing to be a slimy insurance salesman... quite another to institutionalize and automate this most tragic of human tendancies... and to make a killing doing so.  The edifice that is socil networking software tends to depersonalize and infrastructurealize sleezyness.  "Hey, everyone is driving drunk!", becomes, "If we arent supposed to drive drunk, why is there a beer tap right here on the dash board?"