Mailing List Problems?

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Wed Jul 1 00:18:05 EDT 2009

Kay C Lan wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Len Morgan <len-morgan at crcom.net> wrote:
>

>> It makes me wonder how much I may be missing because I'm using the digest
>> version of the list.
>>

> I gave up on Digest mode a long time back for exactly that reason.
>

>> As final question, does anyone know if in Thunderbird, a long digest takes
>> up more disk space than the individual messages would take?  I can always
>> have them go directly to my Revolution folder but I was thinking that would
>> be a massive amount of data.
>>

> I suggest you create a gmail or similar account just for this (and other)
> mailing lists, that way you can use their HD space rather than yours:-) I've
> been on this List for a couple of years and the stats shows that I'm at 343
> MB or 4% of my 7343 MB allowable space so I don't think I'll be running out
> soon;-) Not only is that 343 MB of space saved on my HD, it's OVER 343 MB of
> HD space I've saved off my TimeCapsule. Even if Digest mode were a little
> slimmer it's still going to be a sizeable amount of space so why not let
> gmail take care of the space and backup problems; it also has a nice search
> feature and I use their Labels to categorise all the List posts in to one or
> more of over a dozen Labels - helps in searching.
>
> HTH

Ditto the above, I use Tbird, gMail and receive individual posts. I
prefer to keep them locally and delete periodically, because the time I
may have to read rev lists is often a time when I have no connection (at
the dentist e.g.) But, they will always be there in gMail.

Individual posts or digests take up the same space in tBird, but if you
set a folder in Tbird, create a rule to send all list message to that
folder and then turn on threading, it's actually much, much better than
digests.  Threads that have no value in your universe you can delete in
one go... not possible in digests.

skts