Copying standalone to PowerBook

Jim Ault JimAultWins at
Fri Jan 30 14:13:00 EST 2009

Hello Ben,

Have you tried looking inside the app bundle to see if something is missing?
Right click on the icon, then choose "Show package contents"
It could be that the destination file system does not think the user has
enough permissions to write all the files, or it stops copying files for
some reason.

Just a couple suggestions.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas

On 1/30/09 11:06 AM, "Ben Rubinstein" <benr_mc at> wrote:

> On 3/11/08, Mark Stuart wrote:
>> I'm having an issue with my standalone application "disappearing" on a
>> PowerBook after its first use.
>> The second launch of the application, it doesn't start.
>> Here's what I did...
>> I developed an application on WinXP with RunRev v3.0.
>> Built the standalones for: PowerPC, Intel, and Windows; with the default
>> values in the application settings for each platform.
>> Copied each of the 3 standalone folders onto a USB 1GB drive.
>> Took it to the PowerBook, and copied the "MacOSX PowerPC-32" folder to the
>> Applications folder using Finder.
>> Clicked on the "" folder (under the above folder) and the
>> application launched. So far no problem.
>> I kept the Finder open to the "" folder. It showed that the
>> application file size was 3.1 MB, on first launch of the application.
>> Now while using the application, the file size changed to 92 KB.
>> I then closed the application, and tried launching it again, and nothing -
>> it wouldn't load.
> Hi Mark,
> Did you ever find out what was going on here?  We've just run across what
> seems to be the same problem: in this case the app's developed as well as
> deployed on Mac.   During main development, we'd been copying it from
> development Mac to deployment Mac by network or USB stick.
> Now a month later we needed to install on a new Mac; so my colleague copied it
> from the CD that was part of the project archive; and reported something very
> much like you saw, with the app halving in size after first run.
> We've still got the app on my machine, and in any case the stacks that it's
> built from are archived, so I'm not particularly bothered; and while I haven't
> had a chance to test yet, I'm sure we can fix this by copying from my Mac
> again by USB stick or network, instead of off CD; and my further guess is that
> if we zip the app and put the zipped version on CD, we will then be able to
> copy that off and unzip without then finding this problem arising.
> So I don't think we've got an actual roadblock for installation on this Mac,
> nor on creating a CD that can be used in future; but if this hadn't been
> discovered for a year, we might have had more of a problem, so I'd like to get
>   to the bottom of this and understand what's happening.
> So... did you ever figure this out?  Presumably it's some kind of interesting
> attribute that can be lost from a Mac application bundle by transmission
> through certain routes; though what that attribute would be that causes an app
> to eat itself is a mystery to me.  (Of course if I'm wrong that copying the
> app off my Mac resolves it, then the whole transmission issue will prove to be
> a red herring, we'll have to look at the environment on the Mac we're
> installing on.... and I'll start getting a lot more bothered.)
> Any light you can shed would be most interesting,
> - Ben
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> use-revolution at
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription
> preferences:

More information about the use-livecode mailing list