playing multi-sounds

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri Jan 30 01:05:54 EST 2009

Recently, Thierry wrote:

> I was thinking to be more responsive, to put all the little sounds in
> one mp3 file,
> instead of a lot of little mp3 files....
> and instead of changing the filename of the player,  play with the
> currenttime
> and manage a list of index to select any sounds ?
> Before doing it,
> did some of you tried this out and get benefits out of it ?
>
> or experts, do you think I can go in this direction ?

I can't recall if I've tried this -- I think I gave up due to managing all
the playback times.  If the sounds are sound effects, you should get faster
access using imported sounds, as opposed to using a player to reference
external sounds.

Just keep in mind that if you're delivering on an older machine, ie 512k
RAM, a large sound file, or lots of sound files loaded all at once, could
use up a lot of memory.  You should test as much as possible.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design