Sometimes I'm baffled.

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Jan 29 18:27:06 EST 2009

Ralf Bitter wrote:
> Alex,
>
> how about this:
>
> do "set the visible of" && param(i) && "to false"

OK, I see that works - but I still can't understand why
    set the visible of param(i) to false
should not work.

In your other email, you said
> Once again: Use the do command, because the statement
> "set the visible of param(i) to false" consists partly of a return
> value of a function.
what's wrong with "... consisting partly of a return value of a
function..." ?

If I change the script to create a function of my own, e.g.

> local sTheCtl
>
> on mouseUp pMouseBtnNo
>     put the target into tCtl
>     put tCtl into sTheCtl
>     flash tCtl
> end mouseUp
>
> on flash
>     local i, p1
>     repeat with i=1 to paramcount()
>         -- set the visible of param(i) to false
>         put param(i) into p1
>         -- set the visible of p1 to false
>         set the visible of myFunc() to false
>         wait for 1000 milliseconds with messages
>         set the visible of p1 to true
>     end repeat
> end flash
>
> function myFunc
>     return sTheCtl
> end myFunc
then the statement
   set the visible of myFunc() to false
works just fine. So I don't think that "consisting of a return value" is
the complete explanation of the problem.

Thanks (also to Thomas - but indeed I didn't want to ever look at
param(0) ...)
-- Alex.