Import PDFs ?

SparkOut SparkOutYNY at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 18:53:05 EST 2009

Timothy Miller-2 wrote:

> Another noob question from me, the perpetual noob.
>
> As I recall, there is a way to do this, but I've forgotten how. I did
> peruse the docs. Sometimes that helps, sometimes not...
>
> I'd like to import some PDFs, into a stack, or a card in the stack.
> As I recall, I can import almost any file as a customkey, but I'm not
> certain. (This might not be quite the right terminology.) The
> "import" command seems intended only for images, video or audio. So
> that probably isn't right.
>
> Later, I'd like to view the PDF by clicking on a button, which
> retrieves the imported PDF data and displays it in a suitable
> application, like Preview or Adobe Reader.
>
> If these things can be done, where should I look in the docs?
>
> The purpose of this little project is to avoid losing track of some
> PDFs relevant to the other material in the stack. As long as I don't
> lose the stack, I have all the PDFs in one place. Maybe I can also
> index PDFs this way.
>
> I am prospectively grateful for any assistance offered.
>
> Tim Miller

You can import the PDF files to your stack by:
put URL ("binfile:<the-path/name-of-your-file.pdf>") into
<thePDFStorageProperty>
On a Mac you should be able to display the pdf in a player, but on Windows
even with QT enabled it won't render a pdf document. A workaround is to
write out the file to a temporary location:
put <thePDFStorageProperty> into URL("binfile:<temporarypath/name.pdf>")
and launch it, or use a revBrowser object to display within Rev.