veering OT: language history

Dave dave at looktowindward.com
Tue Jan 27 18:15:13 EST 2009

On 27 Jan 2009, at 23:05, Mark Wieder wrote:

> Dave-
>
> Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 11:06:23 AM, you wrote:
>
>> I forgot about JavaScript!
>
> That's not such a bad thing to do. And now that it's been mentioned I
> realize that I forgot about Fortran.
>
>> Did you use Dartmouth Basic on an old Teletype? I still have a paper
>> tape and listing of a Basic Program to draw a picture made up of
>> overprinted characters on a line printer!
>
> Oh, yes. At one point I even had my own surplus Teletype that I ran
> over a 110 baud modem.
>
> --
> -Mark Wieder
>  mwieder at ahsoftware.net

Cool! The implementation I used was on a CAI Alpha 16 or a Naked Mini
16. We had a hardware box that multiplexed 32 VDU's over a 4800 Baud
RS-242 connection. I patched the Basic Program to use the a VDU
instead of the teletype, but it made the random number generator go
to pot! It used the time between keystrokes to generate the number!

Those were the days!

All the Best
Dave

PS I recused a TTY too, but sadly I had to let it go, i used to love
the noise they made and they looked soooooo cool!