Call for comments: Rev as a Second Language

Dave dave at looktowindward.com
Tue Jan 27 14:15:05 EST 2009

Hi,

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

On 27 Jan 2009, at 18:06, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Dave wrote:
>> No, and if they can't spare 15 minutes to just *look* at a
>> problem  after spending at least £1000 on "consultancy" then its
>> really not  worth a light! I was told that it would cost me
>> another £1000 just to  LOOK at the problem to which I said - well
>> I won't repeat it, but I  think you can guess!
>
> I'm not clear, please help me understand:  was that £1k paid to
> RunRev for their consulting services?

Yes.

> If so, that's different from the product experience in terms of my
> article, but I agree that if non-working code was delivered it
> seems a reasonable concern.

We paid for RunRev to "evaluate" the application and get a report or
"clean bill of health" as part of the due diligence process. So far
so good.

Then, months later, I ran across a problem which meant that part of
the final diligence could not be met. It seemed to me that it was a
really simple problem to solve in the IDE, but the stack is/was
password protected, so I couldn't change it or even look at it. So I
explained what I needed to do and asked for someone at RunRev to
confirm or deny that it was a simple fix, and if so, then do it and
we'd pay for a small amount of consultancy (maybe an hour) and use
"custom" version of the stack in question until such time as the fix
made into the official release.

So, the consultancy and the (lack) of support "incident" are not
related as such, however, if you were to buy a piece of equipment
(say an Amplifier) for £1000 and then a few months later went back to
the shop for 15 mins advice on it and they said it would cost £1000,
would you shop there again?

> In all fairness I don't know the details and am not judging
> RunRev's performance on this.  I hope you're able to resolve this
> with them.

Wasn't able to resolve it and its too late now.

All the Best
Dave