Call for comments: Rev as a Second Language

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 27 06:55:28 EST 2009

MiniFORTRAN . . . FORTRAN 4 . . . BASIC 5 . . . ZILOG . . . PASCAL 5 . . .
BBC BASIC . . . HYPERCARD . . . SERF . . .TOOLBOOK . . .
METACARD / RUNTIME REVOLUTION.

Loads of 'sideways' forays into various unworkable RADs post HYPERCARD.

Really don't like HyperStudio at all.

Actively dislike Visual BASIC.

The underlying concepts of computer programming were taught to me by a
Maths teacher about 200 kilometres from the nearest computer; nothing
but a box of counters, chalk and a wonderful way with bloody-minded
teenage boys.

The lectures at Durham for PASCAL didn't help me at all, so I skived-off
and spent all-night sessions hacking away at the terminals. From then
on I have taught myself all the programming languages/RADs I have
worked with. And, that includes Visual BASIC as the lecturer at
Abertay may have known Visual BASIC, but her teaching style precluded
one from finding that out!

I was given Danny Goodman's Hypercard book when I was working in the
United Arab Emirates - while it is useful, to an extent, as a reference
source, I must have read about 5% of it.

Frankly, this Use-List has been the greatest learning resource imaginable;
far better than wading through some interminable textbook without a clue,
and without a voice.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.