problems with Cyrillic input on Windows standalone

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Mon Jan 26 11:06:39 EST 2009

Hi Curt,

I've been mostly offline this weekend, so didn't see this until now.

The problem is that to type non-Western European text in a Rev field,
you are dependent upon the proper input method for the OS being
chosen, a process that is not entirely under Rev's control. I
struggled with this very issue a few years back, and finally came up
with this solution, which seems to be fairly reliable.

In the field I want to type into, I had a preliminary, informational
text message, something like "Click here to type Russian." In the
field's script I put the following handlers (edited to eliminate the
irrelevant bits):

on selectionChanged
     doStartTypingStuff
end selectionChanged

on doStartTypingStuff
   select the text of me
   # the following font custom props are nothing special,
   # Verdana for Mac and Arial for Windows
   if the platform is "MacOS" then
     put the macFont of this stack into tFont
   else
     put the winFont of this stack into tFont
   end if

   set the textFont of the selectedChunk to (tFont&",russian")
   put empty into me
end doStartTypingStuff

I just tested this on my OS X and Win XP boxes and it still seems to
work. Of course, as I said, it's dependent upon your system having
both the fonts and keyboard layouts installed for the language in
question. Then of course the user has to know the proper key
assignments to type successfully, but that's another story.

HTH

Devin