stupid question

SparkOut SparkOutYNY at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 06:28:21 EST 2009

Joe Lewis Wilkins wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Thanks for the quick response. Friday evening is usually pretty slow,
> and real late where you are. I was hoping that I could create a stack
> that showed a bunch of different things and allowed browsers to go to
> different cards that had different things displayed, choosing to buy
> some; you know - the whole shopping experience, but contained within a
> Rev stack; and that that stack could somehow be "whooshed off" to a
> server someplace from whence shoppers would be able to use it. I know
> I could create a stack or even a standalone that did all the things I
> want it to do, but then how would buyers get their greedy little hands
> on it to use it? It would take too long to download, since stacks of
> that sort - with lots of pictures - would be huge, so downloading is
> not an option. It really is/was a stupid question, I guess, if you are
> able to read my mind to see how simple I want things to be. (enormous
> smile!) Looks like I'll have to conform and do it the way everyone
> else is doing it.
>
> Thanks once again,
>
> Joe Wilkins

It's not such a stupid thing - this is how (for example) Tesco introduced
online shopping in the UK. People would install an application from CD which
they would use to select their shopping list and then go online to submit
and confirm the purchase and select the delivery timeslot. Each time the
user went online, any updated items, special offers etc would be downloaded
to the application and the shopping catalogue would be updated. Since its
inception the general availability of broadband internet services has made
it more convenient for both users and Tesco to do the whole shopping process
online, but there's no reason why an offline "store/catalogue" application
that submits the selection to an online order and payment processor couldn't
be a workable thing, especially if the target market is limited in broadband
availability.
It's true though, that generally users' perceptions would be that it's "not
like" all the other online shops and may be resistant to installing some
application for the purposes of "having you sell me stuff" - so the
development of a more "normal" online shopfront is probably the way to go,
even so.