Sucking the Marrow from Macintosh Apps

Rick Harrison harrison at all-auctions.com
Fri Jan 23 10:39:34 EST 2009

Hi there,

You realize of course that sucking resources from any application
that isn't yours, and for which you do not have permission to take
such resources to claim for your own, is a violation of copyright law,
and usually is also a violation of the software license agreement for
that application.

It is always best, and safest to create your own content.  Then one
is never at risk for any lawsuits whatsoever.  Or, get permission
in writing from the owners of the software to use those resources.

If someone were sucking resources from your software application
which you worked very hard on for many weeks to enrich themselves
at your expense, I think you would not be a happy programmer.

This is just a cautionary reminder for everyone.

Thanks,

Rick

On Jan 23, 2009, at 10:16 AM, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> Dave "looking to windward" wrote:
>
> "No need to rename the file, just control click on it and you will see
> "Open package contents" as an option. In fact renaming the file could
> cause all kinds of other problems."
>
> Of course.
>
> However, that will not allow you to import folders of resources into
> Runtime Revolution.
>
> I suggest removing the .app suffux from a copy of whichever
> application
> you wish to cannibalise.
>
> sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.

> A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development
> Life Cycle.

Rick Harrison

You can buy my $10 music album "Funny Time Machine" digital CD on the
iTunes Store Now!

To visit the iTunes Store now to listen to samples of my CD please
click on the
following link.  (Please note you must have iTunes installed on your
computer for this link to work.)

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=213668290