Extracting Resources from MacOS X Resource Files

Dave dave at looktowindward.com
Thu Jan 22 12:31:35 EST 2009

On 22 Jan 2009, at 16:18, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Dave wrote:
>
>> I just want to be able to access this rsrc file to get an icns
>> file, then access the icns file to get the rendered version of the
>> Icon at a given resolution.
>
> If it is just a one-time thing to extract particular icons, you
> could save a lot of time by just using Graphic Converter. It will
> extract all the icons for you and save them to disk.

GC will open .icns files, but not MacOS X .rsrc files, so I'd still
need a way to get the .icns resources into separate files.

But , no, unfortunately I want to be able to obtain the rendered icon
from a .icns file and this file is stored on a removable volume. When
the volume is mounted, I want to be able to grab the icon from the
file on the volume.

Is there really no way to access MacOS X .rsrc (theme) files under
RunRev or a way get an Icon and a rendered image?

All the Best
Dave