externals

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Wed Jan 21 15:25:05 EST 2009

I mentioned before that even a long lived and pretty well polished app
like Quickeys has had over the years to develop some very "innovative"
ways to catch certain events. They have a recorder that records
everything you do and makes a macro out of it so intercepting
virtually EVERYTHING a user does and recording it is what they do best.

But still, it is far from perfect, and can never get it exactly right,
because that is simply the nature of the problem. . As I said there
are serious timing issues involved when working with an event driven
OS. My main point here is, in complete agreement with Richard, this is
a very complicated problem with no real perfect solution. To do it
right, the OS would have to have a mechanism for sending events "as
they occur" (a complete misnomer no matter how fast the CPU) to
whatever application wanted them.

I do not know of any such API in any OS. Folder Actions in OS X are
the closest thing to what you want, and even then I am pretty sure the
event is fairly low on the totem pole of priority in terms of what the
OS "has to do". And what Folder Actions does is ONLY tell you that the
state of a folder has changed. It does NOT tell you HOW it has
changed. That is pretty much what Richard's app does. I plan to build
on Richards work to tell me HOW it has changed, as that is critical to
the functionality I need. When I do I will post it.

But in the final analysis all that has to take place at a fairly high
level (meaning far distant from the guts of the OS) and that means I
am at the mercy of the OS. I expected nothing more or less.

Bob Sneidar
IT Manager
Logos Management
Calvary Chapel CM