RUNREV Technical support

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Wed Jan 21 10:49:59 EST 2009

Hi complaining people,

As most of you probably know, I have always been very critical towards
the product. Even though the product has greatly improved with the
release of 3.0, I believe there are quite a few bugs that should never
have existed and I believe that the new design of the script editor is
a missed opportunity, just to name a few points. Surely, I do accept
the point of view that some bugs, such as those related to playing
multimedia on Windows, may cause huge damage in financial terms,
because lots of projects never take off due to those bugs or end up
dead in the water. I must also admit, like Dave, that Revolution is
not always my preferred development tool because of these issues.

It must be said, though, that the RunRev team has always been very
responsive to my questions and complaints if I really got stuck. There
was one occasion where I couldn't register a new license and RunRev
put quite some effort into figuring out what might be wrong. Together
we solved it. RunRev has also been very helpful when I got stuck with
unicode and one of their programmers explained to me why I got stuck,
which was very illuminating to me and got me going again. Thank you,
RunRev!

Perhaps you're right if you say that one shouldn't always pay for
support incidences, but I believe that many small problems and even
bigger issues are solved by RunRev without anyone ever paying for it,
several times a day. I find it understandable that one has to pay for
support for very complex problems. After all, you should have tested
Revolution before buying it and if Revolution doesn't pass the test
then don't buy it --but please send a message to support about the
problems you encountered, just to let them know about it. Also, the
more time you demand for one particular support issue, the less time
remains to work on bug fixes and features that benefit the Revolution
community as a whole.

I find it quite understandable that one has to pay for support to
solve problems that one could also solve in different ways. There are
sufficient alternatives. Of course, there is this mail list, there is
also the forum at <http://forums.runrev.com/phpBB2/> (and a Dutch one
at <http://runrev.info/rrforum/>) and you can always try to find a
consultant at <http://runrev.com/support/consultants/> who might be
slightly less costly than RunRev.

In the case of Camm, I think there are several altlernatives if he
doesn't want to pay for a solution. One of the possibilities might be
to re-install his PC, install a clean, freshly downloaded version of
Revolution and rebuild his stack from scratch (exactly in this order
and without opening his original stack in the new install). This is
not a pleasant thing to do, but it may save him money. He might also
install MetaCard and see whether that works for him. He might even ask
someone else to build a standalone for him until he discovers what is
causing him the trouble, as there are enough helpful people around.
I'm pretty sure that you will solve your problem eventually and maybe
it will simply go away by itself at some point.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

http://economy-x-talk.com
http://www.salery.biz
Dutch forum: http://runrev.info/rrforum

We are always looking for new projects! Feel free to contact us to
discuss your custom software project!