IWBs, peer pressure, and the inexorable march of technology.

Ian McKnight iangmcknight at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 9 13:21:22 EST 2009

Hi Richmond

I have been using the Promethean Boards for the past year or so.

I find them very easy to use. The supplied software has a lot of bells
and whistles and even allows simple animation. It comes with a lot of
ready made resources and they have a website where other resources
made by other teachers can be shared and downloaded.

As for programming in Revolution I found little if any problem. Once
the Promethean drivers are installed they simply turn your white board
and pen into a giant graphics tablet so that you interact with the
board in exactly the same way that the mouse interacts with the
computer screen - there is no difference. So once you get your app to
do what you want on screen it will behave exactly the same way on the
IWB.

I have written a couple of Rev programs for use in my classroom and
have had the children up using them on the IWB with no problems at
all.

HTH

Regards

Ian McKnight

2009/1/9 Richmond Mathewson <geradamas at yahoo.com>:
> Hey Ho,
>
> I am thinking of digging extremely deeply in my ragged pockets and
> investing in an Interactive WhiteBoard.
>
> I have trawled the internet and found all sorts of info.
>
> However: Promethean:
>
> http://www.prometheanworld.com/index.php
>
> have a 'special offer' for Bulgaria of an IWB for 700 Euros (which
> by all I have found is very good value).
>
> Now I am looking for information from anyone who has:
>
> A. Experience of IWBs (I don't know why, but this reminds me
>   of ICBMs - Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles).
>
> B. Experience of programming Runtime Revolution stuff that is
>   "IWB-friendly".
>
> sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.

Regards

Ian McKnight