How to click the mouse on another application

Ben Rubinstein benr at cogapp.com
Fri Jan 9 12:56:06 EST 2009

Klaus Major wrote:
> Fact is, you cannot "click in another app" from within Rev!
> On the Mac you could do this via AppleScript (but I don't know how:-),
> no idea of Windows.

Actually I'm not even sure you can do this via AppleScript.  I was looking
into this a while ago for automated soak testing - couldn't find a way.  You
can send key presses to another app using the "System Events" accessibility
mechanism; and via the same mechanism, can 'click on' a control in another
app, if it's built via the standard Cocoa routines (so for example not a rev
control, not a page in a browser, not anything in Flash) - but I failed to
find a way to send a generic mouse click at a location to another app.  In the
end I had to forget about using Rev, and do the whole thing in Xcode instead.

- Ben