OT: Windows file permission question

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Wed Jan 7 12:08:41 EST 2009

Hello,

For the rare windows guys...

I want to save an ini file for my app in the specialfolderpath(35), which is
\allusers\programdata\... so that every user has access to the same ini
file.

When checking the privileges a standard domain user has no writing
permission to that dir, but when testing I can create and write to that dir
- first hmm?

But if I first sign on with a user who has admin rights and I create my ini
file in that dir, afterwords the standard user can't  write to that ini file
- access forbidden, second hmmm?

Now I could tell my customers, they have to change the permissions to that
dir or file for the standard domain user, but what I would like to know is,
if this a standard configuration / behaviour, or if it is something in my
special configuration or if there is a workaround so that every standard
user has access to my ini file. My thought was that the
\allusers\programdata\ path is accessible for all users. Ok it is, but not
for files created by other users. Hmm?

Thanks for any hints

Tiemo