Revolution Online

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Jan 3 14:31:15 EST 2009

revinfo1155 wrote:

> Does Rev have anything like tilestack? Is there a way to run stacks online?

TileStack is a HyperCard-to-HTML/CSS/JavaScript translator.  I've long
advocated that approach for Rev work, and with cool frameworks like
Apple's SproutCore it seems a great many others are thinking along
similar lines for all sorts of app development:

<http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/06/16/apples_open_secret_sproutcore_is_cocoa_for_the_web.html>
<http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/12/31/apples_iwork_suite_rumored_to_go_web_based.html>

Since JavaScript is the only language built into web browsers, it's the
only way to run applications truly natively there.  Everything else
requires Java or a plugin.

RunRev Ltd. has announced plans to do the latter, making a browser
plugin that will actually run stacks inside of a web page:

<http://www.runrev.com/newsletter/may/issue48/newsletter1.php>

It sounds cool as far as plugins go.  No specific release date has been
given at this time; maybe Kevin can chime in here with a status update.

In the meantime, I've been porting some Rev stacks to the web with my
own custom HTML/CSS/JS converters.  Much of the work requires
hand-translating code, but automating the translation of layouts is a
snap, so it can be a great option for content-rich stacks.

It never hurts to know more than one language, and JavaScript is by far
the most popular scripting language in the world.  It's ugly as sin in
parts, and sometimes just kinda dumb, but it's not like there's any
choice for writing native browser apps so you don't have to fret over
whether you've made the right decision in using it. :)  But your
patience with learning JS is well rewarded by letting you play with CSS,
and the more you play with CSS the more you'll miss its absence in Rev.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World