Rev cgi & mySQL (again)

jbv jbv.silences at club-internet.fr
Fri Jan 2 15:38:31 EST 2009

Jan,

Thanks for the comment.

If you guys are interested, here is a clue on how my table is structured :
there are 2 columns (varchar type) Col1 and Col2 containing single words.
The additional part (with the "/" construct) happens very seldom, so I guess
it can be ignored in the performance discussion...

So the query is quite straightforward, for instance :
SELECT Col1, Col2, Col3, Col4 FROM myTable WHERE Col1 = "toto" OR
Col2 = "toto" OR Col1 = "tata" OR Col2 = "tata" OR Col1 = "titi" OR Col2 = "titi"...
up to possibly 50 elements.
As for indexes, it really helps, since the performance drops when they're removed...
but searches still remain slow (imho) : 5 to 6 sec to find 10 or 15 matches among
40000 records...

If anyone has clues regarding the best way to build such queries, please feel free to
speak... May be parenthesis would help ?

Best,
JB