Rev cgi & mySQL (again)

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Fri Jan 2 12:32:14 EST 2009

Hi jbv,

I am less of an expert with SQL than many, but I think you can simplify your
query a bit using the MATCH...AGAINST keywords:

for example, the first part (b) of your query might look like:

-- convert myList1 to a space-delimited items

SELECT Col10, Col11, Col12, Col13, Col14, Col15
FROM myTable WHERE
MATCH (Col1,Col2) AGAINST ('{myList1}')"

notice that I use single quotes to enclose strings; you shouldn't need your
" &q& " business cluttering things up.

I'm not sure I can figure out the second (a) part of the query, like what is
the %/ construction? Is that a special escape character, or part of the
literal text you're looking for? A fully-constructed query example would be
easier to wrap my head around and simplify.

Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure the performance hit is in the data transfer
from SQL to Rev, so keeping that as small as possible should speed things up
significantly. I know the tendency is to suck as much data as possible into
Rev, where you can manipulate it with more familiar tools... but SQL is
designed for transactions. Trust that it will handle well-formed queries
quickly, and focus Rev on presentation, not massaging/selecting/sorting
data.

- Bill