getting timeout with load URL

Dave Cragg dave.cragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Wed Feb 25 17:54:56 EST 2009

On 25 Feb 2009, at 17:38, Phil Davis wrote:
> As far as I can tell, the socketTimeoutInterval doesn't seem to
> interact with the 'load' command. At least, the 'socketTimeout'
> message isn't sent when 'load' exceeds the socketTimeoutInterval.
> That's my experience. Am I missing something?

That will be because libUrl is consuming the message. But the timeout
should be referred to in any error message. (Note that the
socketTimeoutInterval is the time the engine will wait for a response
between successive reads and writes to the socket, not the total time
of the load.)

Tiemo, is this with ftp or http? If it's http, you might try setting
the httpHeaders to "Connection: close" before making the load request.
No promises, but I've seen problems before when the engine seems to
regard a socket as open when it has been closed remotely. I haven't
usually had a socketTimeout error in these cases, usually something
more obscure. But there should be no harm in trying. Normally, libUrl
will try to re-use a socket to the same server if it's still open. The
"Connection: close" header will force the server to close the
connection after serving the current request, and libUrl will then
open a fresh connection for subsequent requests.

Cheers
Dave