Gutenberg Reader

Peter Brigham MD pmbrig at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 17:07:00 EST 2009

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:36:27, Bernard Devlin <bdrunrev at gmail.com>

> Hi Peter,
> I just wanted to say that I downloaded the app & it won't start on
> OS X
> 10.4.11 PPC.  It just seems to immediately quit.  Let me know if
> there's
> anything you want me to do to help diagnose the fault.
>
> Bernard
>
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Bill Marriott <wjm at wjm.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> I am very interested in the Gutenberg texts, so I downloaded your
>> application and gave it a try. Unfortunately, I'm the impatient
>> sort and
>> never figured out how to display one of the texts within your
>> application.
>> So, my one bit of [hopefully constructive] criticism then is that
>> you make
>> it very easy to browse and search for available texts, such that
>> one is
>> immediately presented with a list and only has to click a title
>> they are
>> interested in to jump right into reading it.
>>
>> - Bill

  and Meliton Cardona Torres <toncardona at mac.com> (I think it's
"Meliton", in my email it came through as "Melit?n") wrote;

and Pierre Sahores <psahores at free.fr> wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Great stack to parse and save the Gutemberg's books without having to
> download them ! Congratulations and thanks for sharing it with all of
> us !
>
> The Mac OS X standalone don't start there for yet but the stack is
> running OK in the Rev 3.0 IDE. (Mac OS X 10.5.6 / MacBook Pro Core Duo
> 2 Go RAM).
> The Win32 standalone start and run fine under VirtualBox 2.14 / Win XP
> Pro.

Re: Bill Marriott's suggestion, I am reluctant to limit the user by
presenting a pre-selected list of texts. I suppose I could build in an
"example" button of some kind. I don't think there's any way of making
the stack operation much simpler for those who are "impatient" but I'm
open to suggestions. It's just a matter of clicking the "go Gutenberg"
button, selecting a text, and clicking "import this page..."

I am puzzled by the standalone not starting up on a couple Macs. For
Bernard it's on a PPC using 10.4.11, and for Pierre is on a Pro Core
Duo using 10.5.6. Don't know what happening, but something goes awry
in the standalone build process. I have had a couple of other
standalones I built and shared with friends fail to open as well, with
no apparent pattern. Shouldn't the standalone builder handle
everything for whatever system/architecture/platform? I don't know the
first thing about how to solve this. Any ideas, anyone, on what could
be going wrong here?

Meliton, were you downloading the app or the stack?

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com